Tuesday, June 10, 2014

 photo DREAMON2.png


Book: Dream On

Author: M. Kircher

Published: April 22nd 2014

Pages: 213 e-book

Rating by Katie: 3 out of 5 stars


Received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.


     Emily Del Monte and her mother, Lily, are "dreamwalkers" They go to sleep and can live in their dreams. These dreams are memories from their past, fantasy or nightmares. They go into a type of hibernation and can sleep for long periods of time without eating and drinking. Her father died several years ago, and so now her mother, Lily, sleeps for days or weeks at a time, dreaming about her father. Emily takes care of herself, and writes books under her mother's name so she can support them.

Gabe is the new kid. His favorite author is Lily Del Monte. When he runs into her daughter on his way to school he is shocked when he finds out who Emily is. However, when she starts avoiding him and acting like she dislikes him, he feels the need to find out what is really going on. Her loner status and her mean attitude piques his interest. So he does whatever he can to get into her life to figure her out.

This book reminds me of a dream that I use to have. I am sure most of you have had a dream similar to the one that haunted me throughout my high school career. I would open the large brown metal double doors going into my school with the biggest smile on my face. As those heavy doors slammed shut behind me, I begin to notice stares.... lots of stares. Snickering girls, gawking boys... oh it. was. awful. I would look down and shock would devour me. I am wearing NO CLOTHES! None, what so ever. My breasts flashing the world and my butt out in the open for all to see.... HORRIBLE HORRIBLE DREAM! While reading this book I came across something that was said by Emily "No amount of wishful thinking gets you clothes in those." She is talking about..... the naked dreams.. You know what I am talking about. You have had them too... you know you have. You also know that every time they occurred, you did your best to find some clothes... you know you did. And, did it ever happen?… you finding clothes?… yeah, I didn’t think so.  I have to think that Kircher was a victim to such a dream. Emily’s statement brought me some clarity. I wasn't the only one who had this problem......

Dream On is very interesting. Emily has these vivid dreams that the author has written in so much detail. I honestly began to feel like I was hyperventilating in some of these scenes. Panic.. I felt panic.

The conversation I had with my husband…..
Me: There is action and it isn't even real!
Him: Whaaaat? Like... dreaming action??
Me: Yeah! Like that!
Him: That is crazy!!
Me: Yeah.... pretty crazy!

Her relationship with Gabe is slow and she actually pushes him away. He knows something is up with her and her mother. So Emily feels the need to protect their secrets. I mean, he does have the stalker vibe going on. He is so cute though, I am sure I would allow him to stalk me.. if he wanted.... just sayin…

M.Kircher has such imagination. I love it!  How do you come up with this stuff?! I was sucked into these dreams with Emily. I honestly couldn’t get enough of it! These action packed, fun, suffocating, panic stricken dreams!
I am unable to go into much detail without spoiling this book…I do not like giving things away.

There was a few things that I did not like about this book. Gabe seems very immature. At least in the first half of the book. I noticed he began to take on a more serious side and I did like that. Evan, to me, was a cutie. I like the nerdy guys…. I can’t help it. I felt that Emily was a bit hard on him. I felt sorry for his character. I know Emily was trying to keep people out of her life to protect her and her mother. However, she just seemed too mean.  I think that caused me to like her, but not LOVE her. Then she tells her secret to both so easily.... Like come on, you write books for a living... You can at least come up with some explanations as to why your mother is sleeping for days at a time.

M. Kircher has a good book here. It is a lot of fun to read! The dreams are so action packed. There is a smidgen of good romance, and even a bit of surprising developments at the end…. That isn’t even the best part…. On the last several pages The Breakfast Club makes an appearance, and it is the sweetest thing.   Okay, some of you might not catch that, or get it… but believe me, it is there. Note: If you have no idea what I am talking about here, go watch "The Breakfast Club".
 
This made me giggle:
Men, I huff inwardly, always needing to prove they wear size Large underwear.”- Emily Del Monte (The voice inside her head).

M.Kircher, you are a great writer. I enjoyed this book, and it was so much fun. Thank you for allowing me to read your book and review it. I hope you allow me to read more of your books for review! 

No comments:

Post a Comment