Friday, June 6, 2014

 photo Breeder.png

Book: Breeder

Author: Casey Hays


Published: January 14, 2014


Pages: 355 e-book


Rating by Katie: 5 out of 5 stars





Received book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

     “The stock do not have personalities, unlike our complex gender. Therefore, do not attempt to find one.  You will only be disappointed, and your mandatory time in the Pit will be unfulfilling and regrettable.” - Madam Belle

I opened this book and was immediately consumed. In this world Men are nothing but tools. They are worthless objects, prisoners… stock. Their only job is breeding. They are studs, like horses or dogs…. The women leaders stud them out to their villagers so they can keep the village alive. Male babies die if they are not needed to replenish the stock.

A little over a hundred years ago, a war took place. This war destroyed everything. Now men are worthless in the eyes of women. Men destroyed the world so many years ago. They are evil and will only lead to devastation and pain. Women are the only ones smart, strong and compassionate enough to fix the world and keep another war from occurring. They protect what they have by locking men in caves and giving them one task to perform.

Kate has just turned sixteen. At this age girls are given their permanent jobs. Some are warriors, guards, farmers and nannies. Kate…..is a breeder. It is an honor to become a breeder. She gives life. Breeders are nobility in the eyes of all the other women. However, this is a job Kate doesn’t want and she sees no honor in it at all. She doesn’t want to go down into the Pits and breed with one of those vile creatures! The leaders have chosen one mate for her and she is determined not to meet him. On her birthday celebration she loses a battle and the tribal leaders win. She is now in the pit with her mate.

Ian was chosen for Kate. Unlike the rest of the stock… he is different in every way. Once Kate realizes who he really is, her mind opens up to all of these secrets. Secrets that could get her in trouble… secrets that cause her to rebel more.... secrets that make her realize, she should have a choice.

It is hard sometimes when I finish a book, that I absolutely love, to be able to write a review. I am to excited to write anything worth reading. There is to much “ I love this!” “I love that!”. So I had to wait to write this review. The only problem is… I am still to excited about it!

I could not sleep! I read and read and read and read! I was fascinated by the idea of men used as studs. Their feelings, conditions and minds did not matter! They are worthless. I have never read a book like this… EVER! I loved it. I was so intrigued! So glued to the pages wanting to know what happens next! TELL ME NOW!! Seriously, I got to page 80 and I could have written a review solely based on those 80 pages. There was just no way that I would be disappointed by the end. NO WAY! I was right…. I was definitely not disappointed.




 Breeder is written by a Christian author. At the beginning of every chapter is a bible verse. Also, here is what I believe young adults might learn from this book.... Go against the grain. Stand up for what you know is right. Take up for yourself. Help those when others do not. Do not fear rejection or humiliation. Do not be afraid to speak your mind. Ask questions! Demand answers! Do not follow blindly..... stay pure to your heart and youself. You will always be persecuted for your differences and beliefs. That is ok.

I believe this book had the best romance I have read in a ya book...ever. There is no sexual tension, body rubbing, and of course... "Oh I caaaaan't dooooo anything withoooooout yoooou!" none of that stuff.  Kate is strong and she is the one who makes up her own mind. Her and Ian, of course needing each others help, do not need each other to succeed in life. Not from what I could tell by reading this story. They kiss, hold hands and fall in love with each other. It is the sweetest romance.

I had so much fun reading this book. There was action and secrets. I was always wanting to know what would happen next! It was hard for me to put the book down. Honestly, if my 3 year old wasn't needing me constantly, during the day, I would have had this book read in one sitting... I just know it. However, my sweet boy comes first, always. That doesn't mean I wasn't thinking about Kate and Ian while I was playing dinosaurs with my son..... I really did.. the whole time... really.  My poor Apatosaurus was mauled by the mean ole T-Rex like twenty times! We held a funeral and..... ok.. nevermind that. Lets get back to the book!

There are a few things that I feel I need to say. In one scene with Ian and Kate, I got a bit upset. Ian was very angry and something happened and it upset me. I wont say what it was. You will find out because you HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK! Also, one of the breeders hasn't weened her infant yet and she is still able to get pregnant. However, every mother knows that if you are a breast feeder  - which in this book, because they live off the land and live in mud hut type things, I have to assume they are breast feeders - that you are not able to get pregnant while breast feeding. It is a natural birth control.

I recommend this book to EVERY ONE! Like now... go read it!

Thank you Casey for allowing me to participate in this Read for Review. I truly enjoyed it. You have a wonderful gift of story telling. I am so excited about the next book in this series! I can hardly contain my excitement. Please know that I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to review Archer for you!

2 comments:

  1. Ok. I am going to read it. Now. I loved your review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun book. I know you will enjoy it! :)

      Delete